Thursday 12 March 2020

Core Business DFI Week One




Today has been a great introduction to the digital fluency world. The history of Manaiakalani was a great insight into how this movement was born and I marvel at the far reaching effects of this dream.


Something that resonated with me was the statement that our computers are a pencil not a book. This spoke to me of the kaupapa around digital technologies in schools being about opening up possibilities for ubiquitous learning, access to information, creating and sharing; not as an alternative to a textbook or worksheet.

I use google docs every day in my professional and personal life. Today I learned some excellent shortcuts and tips that will make working with docs more efficient. eg I had not known that explore at the bottom right of the doc allows me to search for free images without having to use the free images filter on google images.

Some of the 'Create' features within google docs are going to be useful when creating docs.
I was able to explore some of these features. This image is my work in progress.

Other highlights have been having the opportunity to give DFI my full attention, ask for and receive help, and to connect with another professional learning group.

3 comments:

  1. Great to see you back in the blogging world Maire. I agree it was great to have the time to give this our full attention - the challenge will be to keep using the skills when we get back to the real world (our collaborative office).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maire, I too really like the statement; 'our computers are a pencil not a book'. I am looking forward to learning through your learning especially the shortcuts. I have always wondered what that wee star in the box was...why I never thought to click on it and see, who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Maire,
    Thanks for sharing your thinking. I agree the change in understanding between the book and the pencil is such an important one. Learn, Create, Share can exist without technology, however being able to have this amplifies and turbocharges what we can do!
    The trick now is remembering all of the shortcuts and tips!
    Have a great week,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete