Wednesday 8 April 2020

Media DFI Week Three - Online Version

Week Three's point of difference was that I was sitting in my dining room alongside 31 others who were also sitting in their own homes. We all seem to have adapted to this strange new world. It is only one week since I learnt how to make the best of google meet and then in such a short time have used it more than I would have imagined (several times a day!) and so quickly become conversant with such things as using the grid extension and then closing the grid to see the screen sharing properly and breaking out into smaller workshops. It was a good feeling in session three, working with colleagues from around the country, even then not knowing how vital these tools would become.

Of course everything that is happening in the DFI course now seems incredibly relevant as we gear up for helping our staff deliver on line learning. What week three's course in particular has reminded me of, is what it is like to be a learner! As I sweated over getting something worth sharing onto my google drawing, I thought about what it must be like for so many of our students. Quite a humbling experience and quite different from academic study because part of what I was learning in the session was exactly what we would expect our students to do. When we consider the varying needs and abilities of our students, how well are we looking after each person's Mana?

It was enlightening indeed to uncover some of the mysteries around my youtube channel (who knew!) and once again a timely injection of information. I feel so much better informed about launching my online videos into the cosmos, after this session. The rewindable nature of our sessions has proven to be incredibly authentic and points out again how useful this is for our children. Having the opportunity to flip and then rewind the learning as we have been using in our practice over the past few years makes me want to celebrate again how good it is to be in a school that values leveraging digital to enhance learning opportunities for all.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Maire! That is a great question you pose - how are we looking after each person's mana? I know exactly the feeling you describe - I remember feeling that when I was scrambling in my group last week to have something ready that I felt was worth sharing. The rewindable nature of the sessions is gold and this is so affirming for what we are trying to achieve at St Francis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Marie everything we are doing on the DFI is just in time learning at its best.Ive found myself scambling around sites in quite a tizz but we are so fortunate to have skilled facilitators, what an amazing journey we entered into with MKO.
    I was impressed with the textures you created in your google drawing, I'm sure our pupils will master this site before I do !

    ReplyDelete