Tuesday 5 May 2020

Devices - DFI Week Seven.


One of the great things about this Digital Fluency Intensive (DFI) is the learning within the learning. I love the stretch that comes with not only the embedding of  the  Maniakalani pedagogy, but also the incidental (or perhaps not) learning along the way. This is the way technology should be used, as a tool, not a 'topic' We have come a long way from those days! Below is the screencastify that I made in order to present the information and task for a cybersmart lesson. This involved me: finding out about the lesson content, reminding myself about using screencastify in order to explain the content and task, applying that knowledge and then remembering (thanks Nicola) how to embed a slideshow on my blog! So much learning going on amid this desire to ensure the cyber 'smarts' of our students!

I think that the same can be said about most of the members of my staff, myself included, relating to the distance learning. We have all had to learn new skills and so quickly become 'experts' in areas that we weren't even aware of pre lockdown. I have never watched so many 'how to' youtube videos (feel like I have a really good grasp of imovie now to name just one!) and realise that in lots of instances we can find our own answers. - a new face on rewindable learning. Most of the staff are commenting on how much they have loved the new learning that distance learning has invoked.

The children have also learned new digital skills in a short space of time. Just today a teacher told me that she was having trouble in her google meet; she could see the students but they couldn't see her or her screen share. One of the students (year 5 - thanks Mila!) stepped up and shared her screen and helped direct the discussion on fraction sharing. The teacher was not only impressed but also grateful for the support! Go our children! What heartwarming situations have you had throughout this lockdown?



5 comments:

  1. Kia ora Maire,
    I really enjoyed your lesson on Smart Surfing. It amazes me how many educators do not see the value of creating rewindable learning for their learners especially while we are learning from home.
    It is so empowering for our learners and also reduces our workload in the long term.
    I wonder how many of our parents are watching "How to videos" to support their children with learning?
    Is there a place for schools to offer sessions via video conferencing or rewindable videos for parents as how to search in Youtube and Google using filters to find the best examples?
    I love the DFI for just giving educators the chance to stop and learn for themselves both intentional and unintentional.
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark. You raise some good points. We definitely need to look at the gains from the distance learning and make sure that we don't lose the benefits. My one concern is that with the teaching in larger groups online, that we don't revert back to whole class teaching; we have come a long way with better differentiation. I would hate to lose that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Maire,
      What I am seeing across schools is the whole class connects are more around connecting and sharing learning. I am not seeing a lot of evidence of teaching online in large groups as I do not think it really is workable. In the DFI experience anything over 5 or 6 participants in a meet and your connection with the participants is reduced.
      I do see the online component really supporting small group work back in class with those not with the teacher able to engage with learning online and direct their own learning.
      Nga mihi,
      Mark

      Delete
  3. Hi Maire, one of the heartwarming things I am seeing is parents connecting with their children more - and making more of an effort to see exactly where their child is at instead of assuming. Some parents seem to be being enlightened about the process their child goes through and their ability to connect with the learning. I also think they are seeing the work of a teacher in a better light.

    I agree I am concerned about educators coming back and trying to emulate the large groups that they are dealing with online - differentiation is hard during Distance Learning but not impossible and the rewindable element of Distance Learning has much to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Maire,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post and watching your screencastify. Distance learning certainly has proved to be a big learning curve. I totally understand where you are coming from - we certainly have had to become experts in areas that were quite unfamiliar. It has been great to see my learners' confidence using google meetings grow. Like your students, they are directing the conversation, sharing their screens and utilising the chat among other things. What new skills and learning are you most excited to utilise?
    Have a lovely week,
    Katie.

    ReplyDelete