Thursday 14 May 2020

Revision. DFI Week 9. Ubiquitous

The end of an incredible nine week journey. I was worried at the beginning that I would not be able to keep up and this was compounded by the decision to carry on with the course via distance; which felt like a bit of a leap at the time. As it turned out, I discovered the essence of rewindable learning. Knowing that I could come back to it later took the heat out of my concern. There were still moments when I felt swamped by how fast the Create parts were moving and I felt renewed understanding for our students about what it is to be a learner.

The organisation of the weekly sessions was a learning opportunity in itself. As we entered into distance learning, I was able to see how moving in and out of groups could work. It was an advantage to be part of this process as I helped  a few of our teachers learn about google meets, including setting meetings and sharing their screens.  Taking part in google meets myself meant that I picked up tips that I could share. The small group sessions in our course were a great way to develop the professional networks that we look for in courses. They were also a way to ask the questions that we wouldn't have done in the larger groups. The facilitators were wonderfully patient as they worked with their adult students!

One of my big gains was the knowledge that even though I may not have picked things up in the moment for a variety of reasons including computer issues or slow wifi, or just not 'clicking'. I developed the conviction that I would be able to 'get' it. It wasn't that I couldn't, I just hadn't, yet. I stopped doubting my ability and knew that I could. I developed grit. I read Carol Dweck's Positive Mindset  some years ago. As the weeks progressed I thought of her ' I can't do it ...yet but I will,' and as I was working with my little bubble of children at school, I found myself using that language.

This course embodies the whole Manaiakalani kaupapa word in its essence; "Ubiquitous". This course has been authentic ubiquitous learning for me, driving home the question; why wouldn't learning be ubiquitous  for our students?
Exciting times ahead as schools return to yet another new normal. Now is the time to seek out the successes of our distance learning and take the opportunity to move forward.
How will you move forward from here?



2 comments:

  1. Hi Maire,
    I have appreciated reading your thoughtful reflections throughout the weeks we have been learning together. This kind of feedback from teachers who are actually doing what we are presenting as possibilities is invaluable and helps us to keep making the DFI responsive to the realities our teachers face.
    I have a particular interest in how our Christchurch teachers have implemented distance learning through yet another (third?) massive disruption to the status quo. I would be fascinated to know your thoughts about whether learning in this way would have supported young people during the time of the earthquakes (given the technology we have today and had internet stayed up)? Would children and families have been reassured by seeing their teachers safe and their classmates online?
    Please keep sharing your thoughts on this blog. We have so much to learn from what you are implementing and noticing about teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorothy. Thanks for your comments. Blogging is certainly a good way to clarify and share thoughts, even if it is with a select few. I certainly value the professional discussions.

    You caused me to think about whether the distance learning would have been a good idea at the time of the earthquake. I think it would have been a great idea, but that we would have struggled to get teachers ready to provide it as there was no warning then. We covered a lot of digital skills in the two days before schools went into lockdown. I think that headspace would have been a huge issue at the time as well, for teachers and parents. The ongoing aftershocks were taking their toll on people. For those who engaged though, it would have been perfect. As things stand, we are well equipped to pick up distance learning again. We are continuing to put our Learn Create Share planning on our site. Our teachers know so much more in terms of leveraging digital. People who have not returned to school are still assessing the learning from home.

    ReplyDelete